Back story: I’ve had this whole wheat couscous lingering in my cupboard for-everrrr. My goal this week was to turn this couscous into lunches, but I didn’t have any ideas as to how!
I woke up this morning (with the intention of working out) and it came to me!! A couscous crust! So, I put on my workout clothes and headed down to the kitchen for an early morning cooking sesh, with the intention of working out while it baked….yeaaaah, didn’t happen. Oh well, at least I had a nice healthy lunch!
Couscous Crusted Vegetable Egg Bake
- 3/4 cup prepared whole wheat couscous
- 2 handfuls washed/cut kale
- 1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasonings
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion flakes and kale to pan and cover for 2 minutes. Stir and re-cover.
- Once kale starts to wilt (about 5 minutes), remove from pan and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining oil.
- Once oil is warm, add sliced mushrooms and cook until they begin to release liquid.
- Remove pan from heat and add mushrooms to kale.
- Scramble eggs and Everyday Seasoning in a separate bowl and mix into kale and mushrooms. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I added approx. 1 tsp of each)
- Grease an 8”x8” pan (I used my Misto Olive Oil Sprayer).
- Press prepared couscous into a flat, even layer in the bottom of the pan.
- Pour egg mixture on top of couscous and bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of bake and place in oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
I ate this for lunch today, but it would make a great breakfast as well! Lots of good veggies, whole grains and protein to get you through the day 🙂 Next time, I’m going to try some different veggies, less crust and more eggs!! I think this recipe’s a keeper, and I can’t wait to make more variations.
What kind of variation would you make??