In the spirit of the 3-day weekend, we decided to get out of Davis for at least a little bit! I have always wanted to go stand up paddle boarding and found a place in Benicia that rents them. So off to Benicia we went!
Unfortunately, it was extremely windy when we got there and didn’t see a single paddle boarder out on the water, so we decided against it. Abe is not the strongest paddle-er (so weird!) anyways, so he was thrilled with the change in plans. Instead we just walked around and enjoyed the water and wind. The clouds were absolutely amazing against the bright blue sky and it was a beautiful, warm day. Walking did not require quite as much energy as we assumed paddle boarding would, but what can you do – we had a good breakfast regardless!
To prepare for our “active” day, we decided to make a nice hearty breakfast of eggs, potatoes and chorizo. After living with vegetarian roommates for two years, you can’t help but be exposed to different vegetarian options that would normally get ignored in the grocery store. One such item that Abe and I have grown particularly fond of is Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo. Abe doesn’t eat pork so chorizo has been off limits until finding this delicious alternative.
Power Up Scramble
- 1/2 gold potato
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 6 oz Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo (Can be substituted for any type of chorizo)
- 4 eggs
- splash of milk
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tomato
- spoonful plain greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Begin by dicing potato and onion. For help finely dicing an onion, take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwGBt3V0yvc. I used the same general method to dice the potato as well.
- Prep tomato (dice) and avocado (slice) and set aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a large skillet over Medium heat.
- Add diced onion to skillet once oil is warm. Salt the onions to encourage crisping. I’ve always found salting onions results in crispier rather than sweated onions. I think it has something to do with leaching the water content out of the onions so they fry better.
- After the onions become translucent, add in diced potatoes. Mix the onion and potatoes and spread them evenly throughout the pan. Allow them to fry for a total of 9 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. If they burn after 3 minutes, the heat is too high. They should brown, but not burn.
- Once both the potatoes and onions have become brown and crispy, add in the Soy Chorizo and turn heat to Low. The Soy Chorizo is already cooked, so it just needs to be warmed up.
- In a separate bowl, crack eggs and add a splash of milk. Scramble eggs with a fork or whisk.
- Turn heat back up to Medium, and scoot potato, onion and Soy Chorizo mixture to the edges of the pan. Add the egg mixture into the center of the pan. Let cook for a minute or so.
- Mix potato, onion and chorizo mixture into the eggs and cook until set. Mix diced tomato in at the very end to warm, but not cook.
- Serve scramble and top with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced avocado and greek yogurt. Enjoy!
I still want to go stand up paddle boarding! Have you ever been? Where did you go, and how was it?